Did you know you can cook pizza on your outside grill? You can! Try this grilled bacon and red onion pizza on a summer day.
I live in North Carolina and it’s hot here! After the heat of the afternoon, I don’t like turning on the oven. I love to go out and flip on the grill. It’s so easy and who doesn’t like the smell of food cooking on a grill? You can always tell what your neighbors are having for dinner because it usually smells so good.
Pizza is a favorite in our house. I have three kids and pizza is a dinner that everyone in our house loves.
Grilled Bacon and Red Onion Pizza Recipe
Did you know you can grill pizza on the outside grill? It’s pretty simple and it won’t heat up your house on these hot days. This grilled bacon and red onion pizza is perfect for your family’s pizza night at home!
Kitchen tools to make this delicious pizza recipe
Cutting board mats– These are so easy to clean and use when cooking. You can bend them easily so which makes it easier to add ingredients to other bowls or pots and pans. The best part is that they are easy to store.
Grill Tool Set– This is a great grill tool set with metal handles. I had a wood set in the past and they didn’t last as long as the metal handles. I love that this one comes with a brush too so you can put any sauces on your food while grilling.
Air Fryer– This is the exact one I have, and we probably use it daily. My kids love it. This will get your bacon nice and crispy with no mess.
Ingredients for bacon onion pizza
- Refrigerated pizza dough- I found mine in the deli section of my grocery store. You can also make homemade pizza dough. I used to make my own pizza dough all the time, but I usually buy it now to save time. You only need a large bowl, a kitchen towel and a few ingredients. Here are the instructions for that.
- Large Red Onion- You will cut your onions into thin slices because no one wants a huge bite of onion at once.
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- Fresh Basil Leaves- Fresh basil is what you’ll need to use for this recipe. You can buy this in any supermarket or grow your own. Basil is one of the easiest herbs to grow, then you can pick off the leaves any time you want.
- Bacon- You can use your favorite bacon.
- Minced Garlic- You can use fresh garlic and cut it into very small pieces or you can use the minced garlic in the jar.
- Roma tomatoes- You’ll want to slice these thin.
How to make an Onion Bacon Pizza
Cook bacon and crumble. Here are the instructions to cook bacon in the oven. Have you ever done it that way? However, using an air fryer is even easier!
Preheat the grill to medium heat. Roll out refrigerated pizza dough on a lightly floured work surface. I usually split the dough into personal pizza sizes so every family member can add their own toppings.
Rub virgin olive oil on one side of the dough so it won’t stick to the grill. Place the pizza dough directly onto the grill. No baking sheet or pizza stone is necessary.
Grill over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Take the pizza crust off the grill and flip it over and onto a plate, grill marks up.
Rub chopped garlic onto the pizza crust. Add tomatoes, red onions, bacon, mozzarella, and basil. (I like to use a zester for fresh garlic. It makes it very fine and easy to spread.)
Place back on the grill for 5-10 minutes or until done.
NOTE: We like our pizza crust thick. If you like yours thin, it won’t take as long to cook.
This pizza recipe does not contain any red sauce or basil pesto. However, you can add a thin layer to the crust for a great taste. You can buy both of these in a jar in the pasta section of your grocery store. I usually have a jar of pesto in my pantry at all times. It’s so delicious. Remember to use a thin layer.
More Great Grilling Recipes
- Grilled London Broil Marinade– This is my go-to marinade in the summer. It’s so easy to prepare.
- Grilled Beef Ribs– These are a family favorite and so easy to prepare. they cook low and slow so you don’t need to stand over the grill to cook these.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
I also have a couple of other pizza recipes
- Apple Pie Pizza– This is a great dessert pizza and tastes so good!
- Breakfast Pizza– You can even eat pizza for breakfast! This is great for a weekend breakfast with the family.
Reminder: It would be GREAT if you could leave any feedback in the comment section and give me a 5 star rating. I love it when people rate my recipes for other readers to help when they are looking for something new to make.
Grilled Bacon and Red Onion Pizza
- Refrigerated pizza dough
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 1 4 oz packed fresh mozzarella sliced
- Fresh basil
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- 3-4 roma tomatoes sliced thin
- Cook bacon and crumble.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Roll out refrigerated pizza dough according to directions.
- Before placing on the grill, rub olive oil on one side of the dough so it won’t stick.
- Place dough on grill for about 3-5 minutes. Take off and flip over onto plate, grill marks up.
- Rub chopped garlic onto pizza crust. Add tomatoes, red onions, bacon, mozzarella, and basil.
- Place back on grill for 5-10 minutes or until done.