Easy Energy Savings Tips
This post is sponsored by Lennox and The Energy Savings Superstar Contest.
I don’t know about you, but with 3 kids I feel like I could save so much money on energy. I go upstairs and every light is on. I walk downstairs and the back door is wide open and the air conditioner is running. It drives me crazy. When I heard about the Energy Savings Superstar Contest, it got me thinking of things I can incorporate into my life to save energy that are pretty simple.
Here are some things that you can do too that are EASY energy savings tips!
- Change your light bulbs to the energy efficient ones
- Check windows to make sure they are all closed and locked when the air is running.
- Turn off the air and open the windows (if it’s nice out).
- Buy a programmable thermostat.
- Don’t leave all your charges plugged in with nothing charging.
- Use natural light instead of turning on the lights.
- Turn off all lights at night (Check the garage too!).
- Close the blinds when the sun is the hottest and shining it to keep the house cool.
- Open the blinds when the sun is hot to keep the house warmer in the winter.
- Limit showers to 5 minutes (This is a challenge for my son who loves long, hot showers).
- Buy a water reducing shower head (Saving on water will save your hot water heater from running).
My entry to the contest is going to be that I run my dishwasher at night. I run the dishwasher at least once a day and I always turn it on at night. The main reason I do this is so I can turn off the heated drying at the end of the wash cycle. My dishes will have all night to dry and in the morning I can unload it. I’ve also heard that energy costs are lower in the middle of the night because there isn’t a high demand.
Make sure you go submit your entry before Aug 31 and don’t forget to snap your picture to send along with it.
You could win:
- $10,000 in Lennox® heating and cooling equipment
- A year supply of ice cream
- Tickets to the closest water park
Finalist will be chosen and the winner announced on October 2 (or before). My kids would die for that years worth of ice cream. That’s their favorite dessert! Let me know what your entry is.