This sweet slaw for fish tacos that are made with red cabbage makes you want every Tuesday to be Taco Tuesday.
Don’t you love it when the weather gets nice and it’s time to start grilling? I live in North Carolina and I pretty much grill all year, but I know so many of you can’t. This is a quick, easy and healthy meal.
Most of my family loves anything on a tortilla so I’m usually all about finding different things to put in them. This has turned into a family favorite. It takes less than 30 minutes to make and is so flavorful. You can get the fish taco slaw recipe below!
Fish Tacos with Sweet Cabbage Slaw Recipe
I’m allergic to eggs so all my sauces are egg-free and my coleslaws are made with vinegar, instead of mayonnaise. I think the vinegar taste so good with fish. A side of black beans and tortilla chips goes well with this so make sure to add those to your shopping list.
Ingredients cabbage slaw for easy fish tacos recipe
- Tilapia– If you don’t like tilapia, you can use cod too. Sometimes I can find that in the frozen food section of my grocery store.
- Tortillas– Corn tortillas are the best for fish tacos, but you can use flour tortillas if you prefer.
- Red cabbage– You can cut your cabbage thinner, I just like it thicker. You can also buy shredded cabbage at some stores.
- Hosin sauce
- Lime– You can use lime juice from the pantry section of the grocery store if you don’t have fresh lime juice.
- Rice vinegar
- Sour cream– You can use greek yogurt as a substitute.
- Taco seasoning
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to make grilled fish tacos with slaw
Thinly slice red cabbage into small strips and place it in a large bowl. Add in 2 tablespoons hosin sauce, juice of 3/4 lime (about 1 1/2 tablespoons), 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro, honey, rice vinegar, and salt to taste. Mix everything and set it aside.
In a food processor, add avocado, sour cream, 2 tablespoons cilantro, taco seasoning and juice of 1/4 lime (about 1/2 tablespoon). Process until smooth.
Preheat the grill to medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Brush tilapia with the remaining 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce and place on grill. Grill approximately 3 minutes, flip and cook an additional 3 minutes or until done.
Add fish to the tortilla and top with taco slaw and sauce.
More yummy recipes you’ll enjoy.
- Cilantro lime rice
- Smoked sausage and potatoes
- Vegetable fried rice
- Grilled peppers and zucchini
- Chicken bruschetta pizza
Simple Sweet Slaw for Fish Tacos
- 10 ounces tilapia
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 4 tablespoons hosin sauce divided
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- salt to taste
- Chop 2 cups of red cabbage into small strips and place in a bowl. Add in 2 tablespoons hosin sauce, juice of 3/4 lime, 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro, honey, rice vinegar, and salt to taste. Stir well and set aside.
- In a food processor, add avocado, sour cream, 2 tablespoons cilantro, taco seasoning and juice of 1/4 lime. Processes until smooth.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Brush tilapia with remaining 2 tablespoons of hosin sauce and place on grill. Grill approximately 3 minutes, flip and cook an additional 3 minutes or until done.
- Serve and ENJOY!