Grab this homemade recipe for cream of chicken soup that’s perfect for any recipe that calls for the canned stuff!
I am always looking for things to do to make my family healthier, but big changes do not go over very well. I do a lot of things that my husband or kids do not even realize I am doing.
I love casseroles! My husband calls me the one-pot wonder. If I can make a meal in one dish or pan, I do. Many of those recipes call for a canned condensed soup, cream of mushroom or cream of chicken. I have been making my own cream of chicken soup for years and thought I would share it with you.
Recipe for Cream of Chicken Soup
You won’t have to add any ingredients to your shopping list because you probably have them all in your pantry right now. This recipe is so simple to make.
This can be used in any recipe that calls for condensed cream soup. I can not tell the difference and neither can my family!
Update: I originally wrote this post back in 2015! I was going through my old articles and updating the ones that people still read. I was surprised when I saw this was on the list. I totally forgot that I did it. I’m not sure why I made so many pictures, but I guess I’ll leave them in. You can scroll to the bottom to get the recipe to print out.
Kitchen Tools for cream of chicken soup
Pot– I love stainless steel pots. I switched over about 15 years ago from nonstick and I’m glad I did. There was a small learning curve, but I would never go back now. I have a set similar to the post I linked to.
Whisk– These whisks are fantastic because they are silicone which means they work in both nonstick and stainless pots, pans and bowls. This set comes in a three pack of different sizes.
Measuring spoons– I seem to always lose some measuring spoons every few years, but when I rebuy them I always get some similar to these. They are easy to read and clean.
Recipe for cream of chicken soup
- Butter- I normally buy salted butter so that’s what I used in this recipe. You can use unsalted too.
- All purpose flour- I’ve had several messages about using wheat flour. I don’t recommend using that and following the ingredient list just as written.
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Chicken bouillon cube
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Milk- Any milk you have will work. I use 2% because that’s what I have in my refrigerator.
How to make cream of chicken soup
Melt your butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
When the butter is melted, add in 2 tablespoons of flour. Mix well.
Add in 1 teaspoon salt.
Add in 1/8 teaspoon pepper and 1 chicken bouillon cube.
Add garlic powder and onion powders.
Add 1 1/4 cups milk.
Stir well and bring to a boil. Once at a low boil, simmer your cream of chicken soup until thick, around 10-15 minutes.
More recipes you’ll like
- Homemade sandwich bread in the bread machine
- Slow Cooker Salsa Verde
- Basil Roasted Potatoes
- No Bake Protein Balls
I also make homemade chicken broth. It’s VERY simple you just need a little more time to let all the ingredients simmer. Next time you make a whole chicken, make chicken broth. Many times I let it simmer on the stovetop while I’m watching my shows. It’s great in homemade soups.
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add in 2 tablespoons flour. Mix well.
- Add in the next ingredients: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, bouillon cube, and milk. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil then turn to low.
- Simmer until thick, about 15 minutes.