Isn’t it the worst when your child is sick and you realize you’re out of Tylenol? It’s even worse when they have a stomach bug! Make sure to have your stomach flu kit ready to go!
*Disclaimer- I’m not a doctor or nurse and do not offer medical advice. This is what I do for my family. Please speak with a doctor to diagnose your illness and to get medical treatment.
Stomach flu in kids is a pretty common illness and when one kid brings it home, I’m always looking for signs that the next kid has come down with it too. The worst is the stomach bug. It’s so contagious. When one kid starts throwing up it’s about 100% that the rest of the family will get it, adults included. It usually strikes hard and fast. I know I don’t have time to do anything except try and keep the other kids away.
Stomach flu care package
It only took one time for the stomach bug to go through our family and not have these items on hand and I promised myself that will NEVER happen again. Now I have everything I need. This stomach flu kit really does make life easier!
This is perfect to have in your house, but also a great gift for others. It’s perfect for elderly neighbors and college dorm rooms, except college kids would probably call it the hangover kit!
Do this before your family gets the stomach bug
When the stomach bug was going around the schools a few years ago I came up with a plan. I made a stomach flu care package. When you’re sick you’re not able to run out and get supplies so I made my own and keep it in the back of my pantry. It has everything I need when the stomach virus strikes our family.
Luckily, everything on the list is inexpensive and you can add the items to your normal weekly shopping trip.
Here’s what it includes.
- Clean trash can– I bought a cheap one. You can also use a bucket. This is a very important part for two reasons.
- 1. You have it for someone to throw up in.
- 2. You can store all the items in your trash can so it’s ready to grab when you need them.
- Saltines or another plain cracker
- Soup- Canned chicken broth and chicken noodle soups are great. You can make your own too. Here’s my recipe.
- Drinks to prevent dehydration
- Lysol Spray and/or Clorox Wipes– I clean everything; door knobs, light switches, stair railings, the ENTIRE bathroom, and remote controls.
- Probiotic– After my kids start to feel a little better, I start them on a probiotic. These packets are the greatest and I even use them. You can pour the powder into any drink and they help restore good gut bacteria.
- Gloves– These are nice to have if you have to do some major cleaning.
What to eat after the stomach bug
Who even wants to eat after being sick with the stomach flu? You’ll want to eat bland foods after throwing up and water is great. Start with small amounts and stick to the BRAT diet.
The BRAT diet is a great way to start adding solids back into your diet. It stands for bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. It also includes crackers and dry cereal.
I hope this helps you prepare your pantry for when the stomach bug hits your household. Just knowing you have everything lets you focus on sick family members and helping them get well.