This Mexican coleslaw is perfect for any potluck or cookout. It’s easy to throw together and tastes even better the next day.
If you are a regular reader of my blog, then you know I’m allergic to eggs. (I have an eggless Pinterest board here.)
Anyway… I can’t eat regular coleslaw because of the mayo. I’ve always eaten vinegar slaw. It’s easy to make and it’s good on a hot summer day. I’ve been eating it a lot this summer and this tex mex coleslaw is the BEST! Scroll down to get the recipe.
Easy Mexican Coleslaw
I love Mexican flavors and Mexican food so having Mexican coleslaw came very naturally! This would go perfectly with tons of dishes like carne asada, regular tacos and black beans. Imagine Mexican coleslaw on nachos topped with sour cream! YUM!
I just came across this SUPER cute slaw serving dish and had to come back here and add it. Check it out. If you know someone who eats a lot of coleslaw, then you have to get them this for a gift! Christmas is never that far away!
Ingredients for Mexican Coleslaw
- Red AND green cabbage
- Cilantro- Some people don’t like cilantro and you and leave this out or add a little more. I love cilantro and feel it really gives it that Mexican food flavor.
- Carrots- You can buy these cut julienne style in the produce department in your grocery store.
- Ground cumin and chili powder
- Apple cider vinegar- Make sure you use apple cider vinegar and not regular vinegar. You can not substitute kinds of vinegar in this recipe.
- jalapeños to taste
How to make Mexican Coleslaw Recipe
Slice half the green cabbage and 1/8 of the red cabbage into small, thin and bite sized pieces. Shredded cabbage cute with a food processor works great.
Add in carrots, cumin, chopped cilantro, chili powder, sugar, and apple cider vinegar to a separate, smaller bowl and whisk until combined. Add dressing to cabbage and stir well.
Add sliced jalapeños to taste. Leaving the seeds will make the jalapeño hotter. You can decide to leave seeds or take them out depending on your taste.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
You can sprinkle a little red pepper flakes on top if you like a little more spice!
Kitchen tools to make Mexican coleslaw
Stainless steel bowls– I love this set of bowls because it comes in a variety of sizes and lids so you can use them for almost everything.
Wooden Spoon– I love wooden spoons and probably have about 10 in my drawer and yes, I have a favorite!
Whisk– I love this small whisk that’s covered in silicone. It’s great for both nonstick and stainless steel pots and pans.
More recipes you’ll enjoy
You can eat coleslaw with so many things. I have the best BBQ menu for you below. Just print out these recipes and have yourself a yummy summer BBQ.
- 1/2 green cabbage shredded
- 1/8 red cabbage shredded
- 1/2 bunch sliced cilantro chopped
- 1 cup julienne carrots
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- jalapeños to taste
- Slice half the cabbage and 1/8 of the red cabbage into small pieces.
- Add in carrots, cumin, chopped cilantro, chili powder, sugar, and apple cider vinegar. Stir well.
- Add sliced jalapeños to taste.