Here’s a delicious and moist double-layer EGGLESS CHOCOLATE BUTTERMILK CAKE. Perfect for any birthday or special occasion.
If you’ve read my blog before, then you know I’m allergic to eggs. My mom found out when I was 6 months old so I’ve never been able to eat anything with eggs my entire life. If eggs even get on my hands, it turns red and itchy.
I love desserts, but normally have to make them myself. It’s rare to find a dessert prepared from a store that doesn’t have eggs.
For any birthday in my family, I ALWAYS make an eggless cake so I can eat it too. My kids love the eggless vanilla cupcakes I make, but this moist eggless chocolate cake recipe is closing in as a family favorite.
Eggless Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
Here’s something I do to make this buttermilk chocolate cake taste even better. I make my own vanilla extract. It’s so easy and simple to do. Click over to get the simple instructions here. You can get supplies at Amazon and start in 2 days if you have Amazon Prime. This is the perfect teacher gift too.
Supplies to make chocolate cake without eggs
Here are some kitchen gadgets and tools that I used to make this cake that are my favorite.
Cooling racks– These are my very favorite and the main reason is that they don’t take up much space in my cabinet.
KitchenAid hand mixer– I received this as a gift for my wedding over 20 years ago and it’s still going strong.
Ingredients for Amazing Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
- All purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Butter- You can use either salted or unsalted butter for this recipe. I use salted because that’s what I buy and keep in my refrigerator. You’ll want to make sure it’s room temperature before you start.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Vanilla– I make my own and it’s so easy to do. It ends up being cheaper in the long run too.
- Buttermilk- I would recommend real buttermilk I this recipe, but if you don’t have buttermilk you can make it using the regular milk you have in the refrigerator. Any milk should work fine, except skim milk. Don’t use it because it doesn’t contain enough fat.
For this recipe, you will need 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Combine those, stir well and let it sit for 10 minutes before you use it.
You’ll need this to finish up your cupcakes!
The last thing these cupcakes need is buttercream frosting! I have both a vanilla and chocolate that is so easy to make and perfect for these. Click on the image below for the one you want. Powdered sugar is the main ingredient in both of these.
How to make Eggless Chocolate Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Don’t forget this step. It’s important to put your cakes in when the oven is already hot.
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with mixer set on medium. Add in milk, vinegar, and vanilla and mix.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine thoroughly.
Pour into two 8 inches round pans and bake for 24-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Time will depend on your oven so watch closely and don’t overbake.
When the cake cool completely. Spread a thin layer of frosting on the bottom layer. Add the second cake on top and cover completely with frosting. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
More eggless dessert recipes
More Eggless Dessert Resources
Just to let you guys know… I have an Eggless Facebook page AND an Eggless Pinterest page. You can follow me on the platform you like most so you can see the new recipes I make. I always share recipes I find so make sure you follow one (or both).
Eggless Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 16 oz tubs prepared chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add in buttermilk, vinegar, and vanilla and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. Add mixture to the creamed butter and combine thoroughly.
- Pour into two 8 inches round pans and bake for 24-26 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- When cake is completely cooled, spread a thin layer of frosting on the bottom layer. Add the second cake on top and cover completely with frosting.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
Reminder: If you make one of my recipes, it would be GREAT if you could leave any feedback in the comment section and rate it for other readers who are looking for something new to make.