Try this delicious eggless tea cake recipe. You know it’s a good southern recipe if people have been making it for over 200 years!
If you read my blog you know that I’m allergic to eggs. I’m always trying out new recipes, however, this is one that has been around a while. These buttermilk tea cakes have been in my family for over 200 years.
They are so yummy and easy to make. You’ll want to print this out and add it to your recipe binder.
Old Fashioned Southern Tea Cakes Recipe
This old fashioned eggless tea cake recipe was my great-great-grandmother’s recipe. You know it’s a good southern recipe if people have been making it for over 200 years!
Tea cakes were originally a special treat to eat at afternoon tea in England. Many people think it’s a cake, but are similar to a sugar cookie but softer. Southern tea cakes are thought to be a treat made with minimal ingredients and using pantry basics.
Tools to make eggless tea cake recipe
Baking Sheet– I’ve had these baking sheets forever and love that they are bigger. I can usually get 16 cookies on a sheet when I’m baking.
Handheld Electric Mixer– You can use a stand mixer for this recipe, but you don’t have to get it out if you don’t want to. A simple hand mixer will do fine. I actually use my hand mixer way more than my stand mixer. It’s just easier to get out and clean. Anyway, the hand mixer I linked to above is one I got for a wedding gift over twenty years ago and it’s still going strong and I bake A LOT! I definitely recommend it.
Large bowl– I LOVE stainless steel bowls. They are great in the kitchen for all kinds of cooking and baking. They hold up well and don’t need to replace often.
Ingredients to make old fashioned tea cakes
- Butter- I use whatever I have in my refrigerator, usually salted butter.
- Buttermilk- Here’s a chocolate buttermilk cake you can make to use up some of your buttermilk. I hate letting it go to waste.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract– I love vanilla! It gives baked goods such a great flavor. I make homemade vanilla extract and it’s super easy because it only takes two ingredients. You can hop over there to see the instructions on that if you’re interested in making your own too.
- All Purpose Flour
How to make eggless buttermilk tea cakes.
Preheat the oven and in a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add in buttermilk and vanilla and mix.
Gradually add the baking soda, baking powder, and flour. (Note: You may not need the entire 4 cups of flour. You’ll have to watch your dough and stop adding in the flour mixture when the dough comes together.)
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
Roll dough flat (about 1/8” thick), use a cookie cutter, lay on a cookie sheet and bake.
Eggless Cookie Recipes you’ll love.
- Oatmeal Cookies
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- Orange Krinkle Cookies
- Eggless Vanilla Cupcakes– Not a cookie, but so yummy!
Reminder: It would be GREAT if you could leave any feedback in the comment section and give me a 5 star rating. I love it when people rate my recipes for other readers to help when they are looking for something new to make.
Old Fashioned Eggless Tea Cakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add in buttermilk and vanilla and mix.
- Gradually add in baking soda, baking powder, and flour. (Note: You may not need the entire 4 cups. You’ll have to watch your dough and stop adding in flour when it’s ready.)
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough flat (about 1/8” thick) and use cookie cutters.
- Bake for 11-15 minutes.