Who doesn’t love a quick meal and an easy recipe? This 30 Minute Mexican Sausage recipe is perfect for those busy school nights.
This conversation is sponsored by Eckrich Smoked Sausage. All opinions are mine alone.
I love this 30 Minute Mexican Sausage Casserole so I’m adding it back to my menu this month. It’s perfect because it takes no time at all and it uses ingredients I usually already have all the ingredients in my kitchen. I can have it on the table and my family can eat it in less than 30 minutes. It’s the best comfort food after a long day.
Okay, guys, school is starting in a couple of weeks and we’re already so busy! My two boys started football at the beginning of August so our nights of having dinner together are over. I like easy meals that don’t take long to cook because they are STARVING when they get home (me too)!
I’m not sure if I’d even call this a casserole because it doesn’t require the oven or an additional baking dish, but I call anything all mixed together a casserole.
A printable recipe card for this smoked sausage casserole is at the bottom of this article.
30 Minute Mexican Sausage Casserole
My family was gone for most of July and it was pretty hectic. We went to Cooperstown, NY for a baseball tournament, then vacation, then one son went to camp, and then a long weekend in Boston. We have been eating out a lot and feel really blah! My husband and I have put us on a 30-day no-eating-out challenge to get back to eating better and saving some money.
This delicious meal has great flavor and my whole family likes it, which is a HUGE plus because that rarely happens. It tastes even better the next day so it’s perfect for leftovers the next day.
One of my favorite parts about this Mexican Casserole is that it includes ingredients that I (and probably you) already have in the pantry. My secret ingredient is Eckrich Smoked Sausage. It’s already cooked so you can just throw it in.
Eckrich is made with a signature blend of spices for a rich, flavorful taste. It’s so versatile I can use it for any meal occasion. I usually keep a few packages in my freezer. It’s nice to have them on hand when I need a quick meal, so I can run my kids to practice and help with homework. You can have it with breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Kitchen Tools needed for this Smoked Sausage Casserole
Wooden Spoons– You can never have too many wooden spoons. I have an entire drawer full and use one almost every day.
Cheese grater– I love this box grater because there are several different blades you can use so it’s perfect for all kinds of recipes.
Cutting Board Mats– These mats are one of my favorite things in my kitchen because they don’t take up much space. They are great for adding ingredients to mixing bowls and hot pots because they can be folded and bent easily to get all your ingredients where they need to be. They can easily be wiped clean too.
Ingredients for Smoked Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 14 oz package Eckrich Smoked Sausage- This makes the meal super fast. If you have time you can always substitute with ground chorizo.
- Olive oil
- Onion- Diced small
- Garlic- You can use fresh garlic or the prepared minced garlic that comes in a jar.
- Taco seasoning- You can buy the little packets or make your own.
- Corn- You’ll want to drain and rinse these before adding this to the recipe.
- Beef broth
- White rice
- Black beans- Make sure to drain and rinse these before using.
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese- You can really use any cheese that you might have in your refrigerator, but I like sharp cheddar because it has a stronger flavor.
You could even throw in a bell pepper if you have one in your refrigerator.
Optional substitution: You can replace your white rice with potatoes. Frozen hash browns work great, just cook them according to their package directions. Baby potatoes also work well.
- Cilantro- I know some people don’t like cilantro, but I think cilantro gives this the best Mexican flavor.
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese or Sharp Cheddar Cheese- Remember you have cheese in the dish but you can always use a little more sprinkle of cheese on top.
- Green onions- sliced thin
- Sour cream
My husband also adds a few shakes of red pepper flakes to his bowl.
How to make Mexican Sausage Casserole
Sauté sliced smoked sausage, onions and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until onions are softened.
Cook rice according to the directions on the package.
Add corn, beans, tomatoes, rice, beef broth and taco seasoning to pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until all the liquid has dissolved. Cooking time runs about 15-20 minutes. If you have extra liquid, you can take off the lid and cook until it thickens up. Stir in cheese.
Add cooked rice to a large bowl and top with smoked sausage mixture and any toppings you may want.
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as my family does. It’s great to be able to make a meal without standing over the stove for an hour and have it turn out delicious and flavorful!
This meal is great to make in advance too. I sometimes have to prepare dinner at lunch time and this is a perfect dish for easy reheating.
For more info about Eckrich Smoked Sausage, as well as quick and easy recipes please visit www.eckrich.com.
More Tasty and Easy Meals
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash
- Chicken, Broccoli and Pasta Skillet
- Veggie Fried Rice
- Slow Cooker Salsa Verde– This is one of my favorite Mexican recipes.
30 Minute Mexican Sausage Casserole
- 14 oz package Eckrich Smoked Sausage sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 15 oz can corn drained
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup taco cheese shredded
- Additional cheese
- Green onions
- Sour cream
- Cook rice according to the package directions.
- Sauté sliced sausage, onion and garlic in olive oil for 3-5 minutes until onions are softened.
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes, rice, beef broth and taco seasoning to pot and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for 15-20 minutes or until liquid has dissolved.
- Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Add rice to bowls, top with sausage mixture and serve with toppings.