Don’t you just love homemade soup on a cold day? Grab this recipe for homemade split pea soup to warm you up.
I wasn’t sure if I was going to put this on my blog because I usually put things up that make life easier for busy moms and serving homemade split pea soup to your kids may not make your life any easier.
This is a great recipe to make when you have leftover ham and that’s usually around the holidays; Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Make sure you add all the ingredients to your shopping list so you can make this the next day. It’s great to feed a crowd too.
Homemade Split Pea Soup Recipe
I was grocery shopping last week and Aldi had their spiral hams $10 off, so I ended up getting a 8 lb ham for around $4. We had it one night and after dinner I made sandwiches for the kids to put in their lunch boxes, but I still have more!
I decided to make some soup to have for dinner and lunch! This soup recipe is really easy and almost impossible to mess up. You just throw everything in the pot and let it cook. It really is that simple.
Ingredients for homemade split pea and ham soup recipe
- Onion- Chopped. I usually buy yellow onions so that’s what I used in this recipe.
- Carrots- You’ll want to slice these up.
- Celery- Again, these will need to be sliced.
- Dried split peas– You can buy one pound dried split peas in any grocery store. They are usually in the section with the dry beans.
- Chicken broth or chicken stock- Here’s my recipe for homemade chicken broth.
- Ham- If you have a ham hock ( ham bone ), you can throw it in too.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to make easy homemade pea soup
Sauté onion, carrots, and celery in a large pot with a little olive oil for 5 minutes.
Add cubed ham and broth and bring to a boil.
Add rinsed split peas and lower to a simmer.
Simmer for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
You may need to add salt, but I didn’t. My ham was salty enough. This goes great with warm bread. If you have a bread maker, I have the best recipe here! Enjoy your soup! You can print out the recipe below.
More yummy recipes for cold nights.
Reminder: If you make one of my recipes, it would be GREAT if you could leave any feedback in the comment section and rate it for other readers who are looking for something new to make.
Homemade Split Pea Soup
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2-3 carrots sliced
- 2 celery stocks chopped
- 1 lb split peas
- 6-8 cups chicken broth depending on how thick you want your soup
- 1 1/2 cups ham cubed
- Sauté onion, carrots, and celery in a little olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add ham and broth and bring to a boil.
- Add rinsed split peas and lower to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30-60 minutes.