This Mediterranean cod recipe is a fresh and light-tasting meal that is delicious for every night of the week. It’s quick cooking and easy cleanup.
As you can see, I’m really into Mediterranean recipes lately! This healthy dish is a light meal with great flavors with items you probably have in your pantry.
I love this recipe for a couple of reasons.
- I can prepare this recipe ahead of time. My kids have sports almost every night of the week and I try to do a lot of meal prep ahead of time so I can get food on the table quick. I can make this ahead of time and pull it out of the refrigerator and put it straight into the oven.
- This has super quick and easy cleanup. You can just dump the foil packet onto your plate and throw away the foil and you’re done.
Mediterranean Cod Recipe
I know why so many people eat a Mediterranean diet. It has great fresh flavors and food that aren’t heavy and weigh you down. In fact, several American organizations recommend the Mediterranean diet for heart health and diabetes. The diet uses fresh fruits and vegetables that make your meal colorful and healthy.
Cod is a great mild tasting fish that’s great for kids and people that don’t like a strong fish flavor. It’s a flaky white fish that’s high in protein and low in calories. You can find it easily at most grocery stores.
One thing I like about Cod is that it contains less mercury than other types of fish. We eat a lot of fish at our house, sometimes 2-3 times a week so I keep an eye on this.
Kitchen Tools to make cod
Baking Sheet– I’ve had these baking sheets forever and love that they are bigger. I can usually get 16 cookies on a sheet when I’m baking so you can get a lot of fish packets on there.
Cutting Board Mats– These are one of the favorite things I have in the kitchen. They don’t take up much space so they’re easy to store. They’re easy to clean and they are great for adding ingredients to mixing bowls and hot pots.
Ingredients Mediterranean Baked Cod
- Cod fillets- Boneless fish fillets are preferred.
- Butter- I used salted butter in this recipe because that’s what I normally buy. I think salted or unsalted will both work fine. This makes a little butter sauce for your baked fish that gives it a great taste.
- Cherry tomatoes- Make sure you cut these in half before cooking.
- Red onion- Red onions give this dish even more color and have a mild taste.
- Capers- Capers have a great taste and you can find them in the condiment aisle of your grocery store. They have a salty flavor so a little goes a long way.
- Lemon- You’ll want to use a slice of lemon for each packet. The lemon juice gives this recipe such a great citrus flavor.
- Garlic- You can use the jarred garlic that comes already minced to save time or use fresh garlic.
- Dried basil
- Salt and ground black pepper
How to make Mediterranean Cod with Roasted Tomatoes
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter to two 12”x12” foil squares.
Add 1 cod fillet, lemon slice, ½ teaspoon capers, ½ garlic clove, 2 rings of red onion, and 5 halved tomatoes to each foil square.
Add a pinch of salt, black pepper and a dash of dried basil to each fish piece.
Wrap foil around the fish, place on a baking sheet and cook for 12-14 minutes. You can use a baking dish if you prefer.
More great recipes you’ll love
Many of these are weeknight dinner recipes that are in one pan!
- Mediterranean Spread
- One Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Pork Salsa Verde– I make this at least once a week in the school year. It’s easy to make with only a few ingredients and makes a ton so I can have it for lunch the next day.
- Slow Cooker Pork and Apples– This is one of my most popular dinner recipes and so good!!
Reminder: It would be GREAT if you could leave any feedback in the comment section and give me a 5 star rating. I love it when people rate my recipes for other readers to help when they are looking for something new to make.
Mediterranean Cod Recipe
- 2 cod fillets
- 1 tablespoon butter salted
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 slice red onion
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 2 lemon slices
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Dried basil
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter to two 12”x12” foil squares.
- Add 1 cod fillet, lemon slice, ½ teaspoon capers, ½ garlic clove, 2 rings of red onion, and 5 halved tomatoes to each foil square.
- Add a pinch of salt, fresh black pepper and a dash of dried basil to each fish piece.basil.
- Wrap foil around fish, place on baking sheet and cook 12-14 minutes.