How to make Sweet Potato Bake Recipe with Oatmeal Topping
This sweet potato bake (sweet potato casserole) is so easy and has the perfect fall flavors with a little crunch on top.
One of my favorite things about the fall is the food and my sweet potato recipes start coming out! I don’t just make them for Thanksgiving dinner, I make them all season long. It’s the perfect side dish.
Sweet Potato Bake
One reason sweet potatoes are so great is the price. You get a lot of food and it’s not very expensive.
Another reason is that they’re so good for you. They have tons of vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber. They help your vision and your immune system, which is really important right now anyway!
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet potatoes
- Butter, melted
- Oatmeal– Quick or regular oats will work fine.
- Brown sugar
- Chopped nuts– I used walnuts in this recipe because that’s what I had in my cabinet. Chopped pecans taste good in this too.
How to make a sweet potato bake.
First, you’ll want to cook sweet potatoes, which you can do whatever way you’d like.
- Slow Cooker– You can cook them this way if you have plenty of time. Perfect if you are making a couple of days before you need it.
- Roast your sweet potato in the oven, maybe 45 minutes.
- Boil– Peel and quarter and boil for 30 minutes in a large pot. (This is the fastest and the one I use for this recipe.)
After boiling the potatoes, drain and add back to your pot. Add milk.
Make mashed sweet potatoes by beating sweet potatoes with an electric mixture or potato masher. Add your sweet potato mixture to a 9×9 baking casserole dish.
Make the topping by combining melted butter, oatmeal, sugar, flour and nuts into bowl and stir. Spread evenly across mashed sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
More recipes that are perfect for fall.
Sweet Potato Bake
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
Sweet Potato Bake Topping
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 cup oatmeal I use quick or regular oats.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel and quarter sweet potatoes and boil for 25 minutes or until done.
- Drain sweet potatoes and add them back to the pot, along with the milk. Beat the sweet potatoes with an electric mixer and add to a 9X9 baking dish.
- Combine melted butter, oatmeal, sugar, flour and nuts into bowl and stir until combined. Spread evenly across sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 45 minutes.