Here’s a great recipe for homemade blue cheese salad dressing (egg free). It’s so easy to make and perfect for this delicious wedge salad!
Once school started back I made a promise to myself that I would start making more things from scratch. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t. I always make cream of chicken soup and chicken broth though!
One of my favorite recipes is chicken pho with my homemade broth!
My family got in some bad habits over the summer and ate out way too much, so hopefully, I can get back to buying ingredients to make some good lunches and dinners for my family.
Wedge Salad Platter with Homemade Egg Free Blue Cheese Dressing
I know it’s easy to get store bought blue cheese dressing, but why would you when it’s this easy! The taste is fresh and delicious flavor! It goes perfect with a classic wedge salad which is pictured below.
I’m allergic to eggs and I can’t eat many creamy salad dressings. I love blue cheese on my steaks and salads, but I’ve never been able to have the dressing so I just decided to make my own, with no eggs. I also have a ranch dressing that’s egg free.
My mom discovered I was allergic to eggs with I was six months old. Back then there was no Internet to find recipes so I ate a lot of Oreos and Chips Ahoy cookies because both were egg free.
Once I got older and started cooking I started making egg free recipes but many required weird ingredients that were expensive and that I rarely used again. I started experimenting and coming up with my own recipes using ingredients you would find in your pantry.
I know so many people that eat their buffalo wings with blue cheese dressing, but I’ve never been able to and I can’t wait to try it! I’m drooling while I’m writing this! Here’s a great blue cheese dressing recipe.
Kitchen tools to make easy blue cheese dressing
Luckily, this recipe doesn’t require much!
Immersion Blender– You can use a regular blender to mix up your dressing, but I love my immersion blender. It makes it quick with easy cleanup.
Mason jars– I love these jars to keep my dressing in. They are so versatile so you can use them for lots of different things.
Ingredients for Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
- Sour cream
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic- I used the minced garlic out of the jar to save time when making this recipe, but you can mince your own fresh garlic cloves too.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crumbled blue cheese. You can buy blue cheese crumbles in the deli section of your grocery store where the other cheeses are located.
- White wine vinegar- You must use white wine vinegar in this recipe. Do NOT substitute any other kind of vinegar. It will not taste good.
- Buttermilk- You won’t need much buttermilk for this recipe and most of the time people don’t normally buy buttermilk. Here is a way to make your own buttermilk at home if you don’t want to buy it.
For this recipe, you will need 1/4 cup of milk and 3/4 teaspoon of lemon juice. Combine those, stir well and let it sit for 10 minutes before you use it. It’s best to use whole milk.
I’ve listed some other recipes at the bottom of this post that has buttermilk so if you have extra, then you can use it up.
How to make Chunky Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
Add all the ingredients together and mix well until combined. I used my immersion mixer and it worked perfectly. This will make a creamy blue cheese dressing.
If you like it a little chunkier, only add in half the blue cheese and mix with an immersion blender. Then add in the rest of the cheese and stir with a spoon.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should be good for at least a week, but check the expiration date on your sour cream and milk to be sure.
More recipes that have buttermilk
Reminder: If you make one of my recipes, it would be GREAT if you could leave any feedback in the comment section and rate it for other readers who are looking for something new to make.
Homemade Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Add all the ingredients together and mix well until combined. I used my immersion mixer and it worked perfectly. If you like it a little chunkier, only add in half the blue cheese and mix. Add the rest and stir.